Friday, March 28, 2008

My second go

I tried doing this blog thing once before, and failed, but after readings friends blogs I have been re-inspired. But been inspired to keep these light or is it lite, I was a biology major; not an English major and am feeling to uninspired to pull up dictionary.com.

On the cusp of leaving on my next adventure, I figured I needed a way to document everything and since the cell phone is staying at home this time the internet's all I've got.

4 months in the frozen tundra that they call Minnnesootah and I guess I call Minnesootah now, don't ya knowh, is now over. I played with DNA on a daily basis, grew bacteria, and prior to the snow falling I golfed almost every day.

I decided that of all my experiences in Minnesota it was the golfing that left me with the most to reflect on. Well maybe not the actual golf, but the people I met golfing.

The middle aged(45-55) men who continued personally humiliate each other. Blaming baldness on years of mirage and a head of hair on years of no commitment just lots of sex. Shall we bring up the one who was married with kids telling me his son was captain of the pot team at the local high school my cousin attends.

Then there was the elderly eastern European woman who just randomly walked onto the course and approached me questioning the purpose of what I was doing. After a short explanation I got to endure some chastisement due to how easy she thought the game must be. Not having the heart to debate this woman, I just kindly handed her a club, placed a ball on the tee for her and said go ahead. Four swings later the ball still resting quietly on the tee, the old woman was barely able to stand as she was bent over laughing. A "thank you" later and she was on her way. Well kind of, she proceed to watch me as long as the path on the outside of the golf course allowed her.

A couple (35-45) year old men in the midst of divorces, a doctor who continued to lecture me on why I should not go into medicine as he got to witness one of my best golf games ever.

The drunken "5 some" (lingo for the number of people playing in one group). Who hassled me as I played through them with a perfect drive, possibly my best sand shot ever, and a birdy putt as to why I didn't have anyone to play with me. ( I kept from asking what kind of jobs they were sporting that allowed them to play golf during the week in the middle of the day?) It'd be a fair guess to say they weren't doing bio research, where you work on your own schedule.

Or the guy who told me not to talk to loud about the fact I was doing "cloning" in the lab, because I was in conservative country.

Or the two daughters, fathers tried to set me up with.

Enough reflecting, well okay I didn't reflect just documented some of my golfing jaunts, on to my favorite quote of the year thus far which game from one of my favorite microbiology students: When I said I didn't know if I was coming with, through a bunch of rambling about this "staph" bacteria that caused bad things and her struggling to come up with the name. I blandly said "MRSA?" which caused an eruption of enjoyable emotion: "Yes! Just do it, do it for MRSA!"

Move over Nike, Just do it for MRSA!!! haha

And because I just love music:

"cause Ive got my own world to live through and uh, huh
And I aint gonna copy you.

White collar conservative flashin down the street
Pointin their plastic finger at me, ha !
Theyre hopin soon my kind will drop and die but uh
Im gonna wave my freak flag high, high !
Oww !"
~One of the Greatest: Mr. Hendrix "If 6 was 9"

No comments: